Lead Client Engineer - Unity
Permanent / Full Time
€65000 - €70000
Programming and Development
19-06-2022 11:10 AM
Reporting to the Technical Director, the Lead Client Engineer will work within a cross-functional team, planning and delivering technical improvements or new features following artistic and game design goals. With strong interpersonal skills, the successful candidate will also manage and develop a small team of client engineers to ensure they have a good and successful experience and a clear path for improvement and growth within the company.
What you will do:
• Ship production grade mobile games used by millions of gamers
• Drive the implementation of game mechanics and system processes using Unity and C#
• Ensure technical performance (crash rates, FPS, startup times, CPU usage, etc) is healthy throughout development
• Review Technical Design Documents and provide feedback and guidance to other engineers
• Provide exceptional leadership for a small team during the development of big and complex new features or improvements to existing ones
• Collaborate and communicate with cross-functional departments including: game design, product management, marketing, etc.
• Be part of our engineering leadership group, think about and propose solutions to the challenging problems of game development
• Manage a small team of client engineers, provide mentorship and career guidance, drive 1:1s, provide feedback, objectives and other processes like periodic people reviews; in general, ensure your direct reports are set up for success
What you will need:
• Strong knowledge of C# and/or C++, or other relevant game-programming languages
• Extensive experience and knowledge of game engines, in particular Unity or a similar technology (like Unreal Engine)
• Strong understanding of the basics of software engineering fundamentals: design patterns, game framework architecture at scale, maintainability over time, robust API design, etc.
• Solid understanding of mobile networking best practices: request limiting, request caching, batching, content aggregation, minification, integrating with rest and TCP/UDP services, etc.
• Experience with DLC pipelines: asset bundles, dependency management, etc
• Experience with asynchronous, multi-threaded, parallel programming paradigms and other techniques to maximize UI responsiveness and do operations in background
• Experience and understanding around client-side testing, like unit, functional or integration testing
• Strong knowledge of game programming fundamentals, common patterns, how systems work together and various common architectural approaches
• Strong mobile experience (iOS and Android): ability to debug native device issues, strong understanding of hardware and platform limitations, performance metrics, etc.
• Good understanding of tooling around game development, like Git, Jenkins for build automation, etc.
• Enjoy solving complex technical problems, especially in large systems
• Experience managing people, driving 1:1s and performance reviews, doing follow ups and providing regular feedback to direct reports
• Experience driving and leading the technical execution of complex and interdisciplinary developments