Art Director - Austin
- Art & Animation
- Job Type:
- Ref #:
- Post Date:
- 09-12-2020 11:57 AM
We are looking for an Art Director that will manage a team that is responsible for defining and executing the visual look and feel of a myriad of products from conception through execution. You will work independently and collaboratively with interdisciplinary teams made up of artists, engineers, designers, and production. This person will manage efforts in design, training, coaching, and leadership to ensure
that art assets are created efficiently and within given time constraints. You will work closely with Studio leadership in the evaluation and hiring of all Art resources.
- Manage a cross discipline team of artists, set art goals, and own the execution strategy.
- Collaborate with leadership on evaluation, hiring, and assigning talent for all art disciplines
- Manage and guide Art outsource resources to ensure quality work is provided for all games
- Develop strategies, eliminate obstacles, and manage the art workflow with other leaders to achieve broader product goals.
- Oversees internal R&D for art tools, production pipelines, and content creation.
- Work closely with design and production to ensure the art supports the game experience.
- Produce concise feedback for concept art, 3d models, rigs, animations, effects, and scenes produced for all games.
- Provide communication to articulate ideas and vision to stakeholders and teams.
- Stay current on trends, entertainment marketing and bring external insight
- Provides day to day artistic feedback and mentorship of individual contributors and leads
- Promotes a culture of healthy critique on the art team with a focus on product quality
- Attend team meetings with internal team to communicate milestones, and project progression.
- Keep up to date on state-of-the-art methods, practices, and technologies focusing on art developments for current and next gen.
- Other related duties as assigned
- Minimum 4+ years of experience developing art in the gaming industry
- 3+ years of leadership experience in a senior or lead Art role.
- A portfolio demonstrating previous work to illustrate your marketable artistic vision is required
- Bachelor’s degree in Art, Design, Animation, or related field, preferred
- Thorough understanding of video game development and production pipeline
- Prior experience with managing projects and artists to ensure milestones are completed on time, to budget, and to spec.
- Prior experience managing Art outsourcing resources. Former Art outsource contacts and relationships a plus.
- Advanced knowledge in Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects
- Broad knowledge across all art disciplines, including concept, character, animation, environment, VFX, UI, lighting, shading, and rendering
- Proven track record of delivering clear and consistent visual feedback that elevates the art team’s work.
- High level of attention to detail
- Demonstrate professionalism and composure while working under tight deadlines
- Ability to deliver quality and creativity within the context of a variety of game genres